About Me

My photo

Blogger, full-time bum and proud owner of a rubber duck named Bert. Come say hi. I don't bite. Unless you're a cheesecake, then I'd recommend backing away slowly.

Saturday, 5 October 2013

Let's talk

You know what my biggest pet peeve is?

Certain people's inability to understand that they have no right to dictate what others can and cannot do with their lives. 

The population of this world is terrifyingly vast. Despite this fact, no two souls are the same. There are people who may look or act remarkably similar, but even so, they are different.

The saddest thing is, so many choose not to embrace their idiosyncrasies. Your passions, your likes, your dislikes, your quirks... they all make you who you are. And to show shame in that? Well... it's just not fair on yourself.

I'm nineteen. I have a crazy amount to learn about the world, myself and life in general. But what I do know is that we're not all designed the same. And that that's not only acceptable, it's great. Life would be so boring if we all thought and acted in the same way. So long as your behaviour or actions don't harm anyone, then you're okay in my book.

I know who I am. I dislike a lot of things that my friends like. Nothing makes me more miserable than going out to a club. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, but there's literally nothing there for me. I loathe the music, the dancing and the general feeling that everyone in that place is merely an animal at a meat market. That is not my idea of a good night, but I respect that many others do enjoy it, and I allow them to do so.

And that's why it annoys me when people try to co-erce me into going out with them, or try to persuade me that there's something wrong with me because I don't enjoy clubbing... I honestly can't stress it enough, allow other people to live life the way they want to. Really, it's not anyone else's business what you do to unwind. Neither is it their business what you want to achieve in life. 

You've gotta do what makes you happy. Sure, help other people find happiness too, but you can't keep putting your own mental well-being on hold to help someone else find theirs. The pursuit of happiness is both an ongoing and personal journey. And it's an important one too. You've got to keep moving down that road.

2 comments:

  1. Well said, Lauren.

    As the saying goes: "To each his/her own".

    B2B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sound reasoning. I found your blog for the cafe reviews and whilst I can't agree with you about multinational coffee companies I am with you on the topic of humanity - be idiosyncratic!

    ReplyDelete